“How did this happen?” Matt and Nikki’s story
Time: 20 - 25 mins
Group size: Small group activity
- Assign students into 4 small groups.
- Display the poster and explain that this illustrates a story about sexting:
- First, Matt asks Nikki to send him a sexy picture of herself.
- Nikki is not comfortable, but her friends persuade her.
- Matt receives the sext, and later sends it to some of his friends.
- Many people see it and make comments. Nikki is upset.
- Give each group one Story Card. Ask them to read out the questions on the back as a group, answer them and discuss the story events and issues.
- Please stress to the students that both Matt and Nikki are under 18 and that both of them have mobile phones. - DO NOT ask students directly if they have sent or received sexts. Students who wish to speak with you could do so privately after the class.
- After 3 - 4 minutes, ask students to get ready to summarise the main points from their answers.
- In order of the story events, ask each group to give their summary, starting with the group that has Matt’s request for a picture.
- Resolve any differences of opinion about the motivation of the characters, how they might feel about what happens and the part played by peer group pressure.
Ask: What do you think about the tag line on the poster: “Respect Me – Don’t Sext Me?”
Hand out copies of the “Sexting Information sheet for students”