South Eastern Centre Against Sexual Assault & Family Violence

How to make a complaint or compliment at SECASA

For Female Survivors, Male Survivors

Tags: For Clients

Author: South Eastern CASA

As a SECASA client you have the right to complain if you feel that the service you have received does not meet your expectations. You can also give positive feedback if you wish.

If you want to complain about the content of a counselling session:

  • Please talk to your counsellor about your concerns.
  • If you are not satisfied with the response you receive, contact our Administration Team on 9928-8741, ask for the name of the counsellor’s Team Leader or Supervisor and ask to speak to them.
  • If this is not satisfactory, contact the Manager on 9928 8741 or 0414 538 275.

SECASA is a program of Monash Health.

You can write to Monash Health at:

Complaints and compliments
Monash Health
Locked Bag 29
Clayton South 3169

If you wish to take this complaint further:

If you are unhappy with the response from Monash Health you can complain to:

Health Services Commissioner
Level 30, 570 Bourke Street
Melbourne 3000
Tel: 8601 5200 or Freecall 1800 136 066

Your SECASA file

Every SECASA client has a file. This is opened after your first counselling appointment. It contains the information from your first contact with SECASA, case notes, reports, assessments and correspondence. All client files are kept in locked filing cabinets.

In order to challenge the culture of secrecy about sexual assault, clients can access their files. Under current Freedom of Information legislation you can see your file at any time, and you can ask for a copy of it. Your next of kin or an authorised representative can apply on your behalf if you wish. The Monash Health Freedom of Information (FOI) procedure gives you access to your information, medical or otherwise, held within Monash Health network.

If you wish to see your file:

  • Tell your counsellor. They will sit with you to view the file as soon as possible. Sometimes this can be straight away, if you ask to see the file during a counselling session.
  • If the file is large or stored elsewhere, your counsellor will make a time for you to come in when the file is available. Extra time may be needed to bring the file from storage.

If you wish to have a copy of your file:

You will need to apply under the Freedom of Information legislation. SECASA has an arrangement with Monash Health Information Services to waive the application fee.

  1. Either call 03 9594 2123 to ask for a form, or download it from the Monash Health web site:
  2. Print and complete the form, then mail it to :
    Monash Health, Health Information Services – FOI Service
    Monash Medical Centre, Clayton
    Locked Bag 29, Clayton South Vic 3169

Files requested by courts under subpoena

Under Section S32C(2) of the Evidence Act 1958, files do not have to be produced in court in response to a subpoena. If you wish, SECASA will contest sending a file to court.

Requests for information about you

Under the Family Violence Information Sharing Scheme, we may receive a request from another sexual assault services agency for information about you, as our client. Information can only be shared if this helps to keep you safer. We would ask your consent before sharing any information, unless there is a serious risk to you, or a child is involved.

Return to top